Saturday, September 11, 2010

Baked Apple Pancake



 Many years ago, in Chicago, we had a baked apple pancake at a breakfast restaurant out by O'Hare Airport. It was so delicious and I haven't had one since. Today I found this recipe on thekitchn.com and it was beautiful! And did I mention it was delicious? It was. Give it a try for a special breakfast. It easily feeds 4 people or one pig! It has lots of caramely (not a word, I know) goodness and a custard pancake with great texture. It tasted just like the one in Chicago, as far as I remember. Here's the link again ---  

6 comments:

  1. Great recipe. Could you do a little lesson on slashing. Your pictures indicate you are quite good at it. I noticed the It. Bread was slashed and allowed to bloom before baking.Even your all mistake cornbread looks beautiful. Any advice would be appreciated. I am convinced you are a prof. photog. All of your photos make me want to skip work and bake for hours and hours...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! My pictures are just quick kitchen shots with no set up. I use my little Canon Powershot camera. I will do a little lesson on slashing if you want. I always slash right before it goes in the oven. The Italian bread was just really ready to bloom, I guess. It's extremely wet dough. I have learned a whole lot from the following site: http://www.thefreshloaf.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Fresh loaf is a great site. It is how I found your blog. Keep baking, you are very good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On your pancake, is your photo of the bottom after baking? (flipped to serve?)Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, that's the top. I tried to flip it but wasn't successful. Maybe you could use Teflon. It didn't stick on the bottom but it didn't come out easily either. It's pretty on top anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the pancake looks great which is why I thought you flipped it. You may be interested in two other spots called freshyeast and sourdough.com.
    You probably know of them.

    ReplyDelete